Sunday, February 10, 2013

Now and Then

"For nearly six thousand years, God has held you in reserve to make your appearance in the final days before the Second Coming of the Lord. Every previous gospel dispensation has drifted into apostasy, but ours will not. . . . God has saved for the final inning some of his strongest children, who will help bear off the Kingdom triumphantly. . . . . Make no mistake about it - you are a marked generation. There has never been more expected of the faithful in such a short period of time as there is of us. Never before on the face of this earth have the forces of evil and the forces of good been as well organized. . . . Each day we personally make many decisions that show where our support will go. The final outcome is certain - the forces of righteousness will finally win. What remains to be seen is where each of us personally, now and in the future, will stand in this fight - and how tall we will stand. Will we be true to our last-days, foreordained mission?" 
-President Ezra Taft Benson-
Still looking for signitures!
 photo f278a8b1-2e0f-433b-8388-49fba335b41e_zpsacaed82b.jpg
Who is taller? Elder Strasser or Elder Fifita
What happens when President Kezerian takes the pictures. Actually he was just checking to see how many ankles were injured.
 photo de25b04c-6fce-4bc3-bc18-49bd3e71baac_zpsd68c87ed-1_zps59790914.jpg
Ok, that's better. Sister Nowers, Sister Taleni, Sister Kezerian and Sister Shepherd.
Masterton District
 photo 543e5f25-821f-4dc6-a41a-8720e6b89134_zpsdb0fb572.jpg
Canterbury District - Back - Elder and Sister Little, Elder Cunninham, Elder Ross, Elder Sasagi, Elder and Sister Jarvis and Elder Taufa. Front - President and Sister Kezerian, Sister Paongo and Sister Rose.
Wanganui Chapel finished July 1, 1965. The story of the labour missionaries who built the chapels, Church College, and temple in New Zealand is a beautiful tale of vision and faith. As the labour missionaries served their testimonies developed, they grew in the gospel, they grew in ability to earn a good living, and men were built as the chapels were built. 
 Hastings Remodel 1964-65 done by Wayne Tuttle. He Mahi Aroha (A Labour of Love)
Elder Wayne Tuttle and wife Ruth - Children Eric, Laura, Dale, Karin and Glenn. This family once lived in our ward in Orem, Utah, long after they had served in New Zealand. They went from this project to building the Porirua Chapel.
Finished March 19, 1964. As missionaries laboured they gained a desire to go to the Temple and serve proselyting missions. Miracles occurred.
Mania Branch Chapel finished Oct. 23, 1964. As the buildings grew men and women served without restraint and with a love for the gospel and the people of the world. 
Masterton Chapel finished May 2, 1965. "Any church or organization that has the ability to pull together six nations of people to work together in harmony has something that no other organization has been able to achieve." Wendell B. Mendenhall
Invergargill Chapel finished Mar. 17, 1965. "The tower on our chapel points to God - whom we worship." David O. McKay
Te Arohanui Maori Company on tour in 1963 perform at the Salt Lake Tabernacle. This group of 144 were the largest theatrical company to ever leave New Zealand at the time. They had 30 stage appearances in Hawaii, California, Utah , Idaho and New Zealand. They traveled approximately 25,000 miles and were seen by over 50,000 people on stage and 14,000,000 on television.
The Rangitiras (Maori Leaders)
Hui Tau - 1953 - organised under the direction of Brother John Elkington. The College Choir at this period was conducted by Brother Jerrold Ottley, who at that time was labouring on the college.
 photo 3eb2729a-4b07-4dd1-b248-b9e4c383d93b_zpsf3281569.jpg
Palmerston North Chapel - Ground breaking ceremony was held with Apostle Spencer W. Kimball officiating and truning over the first shovel full of sod. Voluntary labour was supplied by the members of the Palmerston North and outlying branches.
Wellington Chapel was the 19th LDS Chapel completed in New Zealand. Most of the chapels in NZ are build of reinforced concrete blocks. However, this building is wood framed with cement stucco and architectural stone work on the exterior and beautiful wood panelling in the interior. It is well fitted in the capital city.
Elder Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated the buildings of the Church College of New Zealand. He quoted the scriptures. "Seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom. Seek learning even by study and also by faith," and then in a later revelation this marvellous statement, "Study and learn and become acquainted with all good books and with languages, tongues and people." That is more than a suggestion. That is an injunction from the Lord to us, His children. Great is the store placed by this church on education and there is little education in our time without the use of books." 
Elder Gordon B. Hinckley and his wife Marjorie. Elder Hinckley dedicated 12 buildings in New Zealand.
 Dunedin - 90% of the materials used in the building of this chapel were produced in New Zealand. Located on a hill high above the city, this chapel was opened on December 18, 1963. " You cannot buy with money what will come to you by being a faithful Latter-day Saint - giving service. Every church builder is better off now than when I first knew him because of the service he has rendered." Wendell B. Mendenhall
Mendenhall photo IMG_2695_zps9634823a.jpg
President Wendell B. Mendenhall - Chairman of the Church Building Committee. He served a mission in New Zealand as a young man. His missionary experience became a part of him and he longed to one day return. He served for 13 years. New Zealand became a part of his entire family.
 Dannevirke Chapel - the saints finished this chapel in one year. President Mendenhall spoke at this beautiful chapel opening.

 President and Sister David O. McKay with official escort Elder James Elkington. (Any relation Elder Elkington?)

 Elder Collins - Is this a relative of yours?

 All day long there was a never ending line of visitors waiting to see the Temple before it's dedication on April 20th, 1958. More than 112,000 people passed through the temple in the two weeks before the dedication. The New Zealand Temple was originally to serve a church membership of over 40,000. Thirteen thousand from New Zealand and the rest from Tonga, Tahiti, Samoa, and Australia.
 Lower Hutt Chapel was dedicated by Elder Ezra Taft Benson while he was on a tour of New Zealand for the United States Government in October 1959.

Elder Ezra Taft Benson, member of the Quorum of the Twelve, spoke to the building missionaries at 6 a.m. in the morning on November 15, 1962 during their Family Hour. The Benson family had a 100 year old link to New Zealand. Sister Benson's father came to New Zealand in the 1800's and started a small jeweller's shop in Auckland.
 photo 715a0a4b-6593-4ae6-b205-fa84e10b6f1a_zps674e8fdb.jpg
Christchurch Chapel was the first chapel to be completed on the South Island. This building on Fendalton Road, was completed in Nov. 1961. All who have viewed the chapel claim its beauty to be as close to the Garden of Eden as anything on earth. The circumstances around acquiring the land have been a testimony to all. Because of the earthquake in 2011 the chapel has been closed but as the Garden City is reconstructed so will the chapel be.
 After serving as labour missionaries many of the young men and women also served proselyting missions. Others served as labour missionaries for up to 8 years.

The Napier Chapel was completed in August of 1960. The public was invited  to view the newly finished chapel and about 2,000 people were taken through.

No comments:

Post a Comment